FREE Thermometer Exchange
Bring Your Old Mercury Thermometer to the District Office and Receive one new digital thermometer for FREE! Quick Link to Exchange Form
Keep Mercury Out of the Environment!
Las Gallinas Valley Sanitary District has a Mercury Thermometer Exchange in support of efforts to protect and preserve the environment. Mercury is particularly pernicious in the environment and MUST be kept out of the trash or drain when they reach the end of their useful lives. Mercury is a nerve toxin that may impair the way we see, hear, walk and talk. When it gets loose in the environment, it doesn’t go away!!
You Can Help
Bring your Mercury Thermometer (in its container and/or Ziploc bag) to our District Office and receive a FREE DIGITAL THERMOMETER. The Exchange Form can be downloaded here, or filled out when you arrive.
1 gram of mercury (a drop) can pollute over 2 million gallons of water or a 20-acre lake!!! (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency).Important!!! A gram of mercury is only a small drop. For comparison, a teaspoonful of mercury weighs would weigh about 70 grams.
- A thermometer contains approximately 0.7-1.1 grams of mercury.
- A thermostat contains about 3 grams of mercury.
- Costs less than many potable water supplies.
- A mercury switch contains about 3.5 grams of mercury.
- One hundred fluorescent lamps contain about 4 grams mercury.
The following items potentially contain mercury and ALL can be disposed of properly!
- MERCURY VAPOR LAMPS THERMOMETERS MERCURY SWITCHES
- FLUORESCENT LAMPS THERMOSTAT PROBES RELAYS
- METAL HALIDE LAMPS NEON LAMPS THERMOSTATS
- HIGH PRESSURE SODIUM LAMPS DENTAL AMALGAM MANOMETERS
- GAUGES LABORATORY SOLUTIONS
Great Mercury Facts are in this brochure. For responsible recycling and disposal questions in the Las Gallinas Valley Sanitary District, please contact Nina Capetanos or call the District (415) 472-1734